OK, I'm new at this. I've rediscovered CordCutters. I think it can help me with our TV viewing. We don't have cable/satellite. Haven't had any for years. However, what we are experiencing is diminishing TV reception in the back of our house. I don't understand, as the transmitting towers haven't changed - at least as far as I know, but the fact of the matter is the reception in the back of the house is down to just a few channels.

What brought me back to CordCutters was the video clip I saw of someone (don't know his name) on Windows Central, who had a nice setup to watch OTA TV, using an antenna on the house and running a cable from that antenna to the cable TV's box on the outside. I thought using that box was not allowed. Am I wrong about that?

If I am wrong about that, what sort of cabling do I have to use to go from antenna to the cable box on the outside of the house?
    08-18-2018 09:32 AM
    They may have used the box to make the connection easier. I don't think it's required; you should be able to go straight to your TV from the digital antenna.
    10-29-2018 12:19 PM
    Yes, you can connect an HD antenna directly to the cable input on your tv. The box you reference could have been a signal booster or DVR unit.
    10-29-2018 09:20 PM
    ". . . using an antenna on the house and running a cable from that antenna to the cable TV's box on the outside."

I think what Doctor_Who was asking if you can connect the coax from an outside antenna to the splitter or grounding block where the cable company connected their coax outside the house. The coax on and inside your home belongs to you, not the cable company. As I did at my home, I connected my outside antenna to the 4-way splitter on the outside wall of the house where the Comcast coax was connected. I simply disconnected that coax from Comcast and connected my antenna to that 4-way splitter input. Now I have my antenna signal in 4 locations inside the house where Comcast once was. It also works if you had satellite coax running into the house.
    12-28-2018 05:51 PM
    ". . . using an antenna on the house and running a cable from that antenna to the cable TV's box on the outside."

I think what Doctor_Who was asking if you can connect the coax from an outside antenna to the splitter or grounding block where the cable company connected their coax outside the house. The coax on and inside your home belongs to you, not the cable company. As I did at my home, I connected my outside antenna to the 4-way splitter on the outside wall of the house where the Comcast coax was connected. I simply disconnected that coax from Comcast and connected my antenna to that 4-way splitter input. Now I have my antenna signal in 4 locations inside the house where Comcast once was. It also works if you had satellite coax running into the house.
    And along those same lines you should be able to scan channels from each tv.

Hmmmmm......why do I see a weekend project developing?
    01-11-2019 09:43 AM