Currently have Comcast Xfinity...

House is 100 years old...plaster and lathe...cable currently comes into the basement, where we have the modem/router (Comcast equipment) with our desktop and, 1 TV.

Can I move the router to the main floor (where my primary TV is)...will be closer to the upstairs TV (Firestick)...I currently have a cable box with the signal coming in...I suppose that I can hard wire the desktop with the internet signal...

If I cut the cord ($307.00 monthly as of now), I would buy a modem and router...I guess that I could set them up on the main floor for better whole house coverage.

Any suggestions on how to maximize my fire stick now and, if I cut the cord.

Thanks in advance.
    10-27-2019 12:43 PM
    Centralizing your router is a good idea, BUT if you don't want to move it, you can also consider setting up a WiFi extender, to expand your coverage. Of course another consideration would be network speed, and a hard wired ethernet connection to the main TV would be faster and more reliable. However WiFi can and does work pretty well on TVs and STBs. While "smart" TVs are good a better option is devices for each TV, such as Roku, Firestick, Apple TV, or an Android TV. Of those Fire stick and Android TV are more hobbyist friendly, so if you plan to use Kodi, or other shall we say grey area programs, you definitely want the Fire stick or Android TV.

Best bet to prepare the Fire stick is to turn on install from outside sources. This will allow you to install Kodi and other media apps. Some of these apps are in a grey area and I will not mention them here. Just go to youtube and you will find a plethora of tutorials on how to install these programs on to your Fire Stick.
    10-28-2019 09:53 AM
    Something else to consider is a mesh wifi system. While extenders do work, and some work well, a true mesh system will give you wifi coverage in all parts of your house.
    10-29-2019 07:56 AM
    Thanks all. I currently have Xfinity internet...I rent the combo router/modem. Was considering dumping just for having to rent the device, but, I invested in Xfinity Pods for my wifi...so, if I change providers / equipment I have to recoop the cost of the pods ($109)...

Anyone have any insight on whether Comcast is known to throttle internet signal if you dump their TV? I could keep the Xfinity setup, pay the rent ($12.95 monthly)...just concerned that I could get better performance. Just not sure if I want to invest in all new / powerfull systems...I do know that the 2 mesh systems that I have heard of (Orbi and Eero) are both pricey on the front end...

Thanks all for the advice.
    11-01-2019 12:43 PM
    Anyone have any insight on whether Comcast is known to throttle internet signal if you dump their TV? I could keep the Xfinity setup, pay the rent ($12.95 monthly)...just concerned that I could get better performance. Just not sure if I want to invest in all new / powerfull systems...I do know that the 2 mesh systems that I have heard of (Orbi and Eero) are both pricey on the front end...

Thanks all for the advice.
    Comcast is rumored to be throttling, but they have always denied this. Also Comcast provides a shared connection, so the more your neighbors are on their Comcast accounts the more everyone slows down. Also Comcast (and other cable internet companies) provide an asymmetrical connection, you get a higher download speed, but a slower upload speed. This can affect gaming performance in particular, and also file sharing. If you can get FIOS, or some other fiber connection (Googe Fiber), you get a more stable symmetrical connection. I have FIOS 100/100, and it suits my streaming needs VERY well.
    11-01-2019 04:03 PM