A lot of ISPs are shifting to 1 TB data caps. For the time being, this is probably going to be acceptable for most users. However, with 8K on the horizon, video game file sizes getting bigger and bigger, how soon do you think this cap will become obsolete?
    11-09-2018 09:55 AM
    Fortunately my provider has not implemented this, but I do agree that this is going to be obsolete. Ways around this cap might be to allow limit free content from preferred providers, such as T-Mobile used to do with their BingeOn service. For sure Netflix and Hulu will want to make such agreements with internet providers.
    11-09-2018 10:28 AM
    Fortunately my provider has not implemented this, but I do agree that this is going to be obsolete. Ways around this cap might be to allow limit free content from preferred providers, such as T-Mobile used to do with their BingeOn service. For sure Netflix and Hulu will want to make such agreements with internet providers.
    I can see some of that helping to mitigate the issue.

Let's take this a different way: I tried buying Final Fantasy 15 a few months ago on Steam. Downloaded (~75 GB file size), and started installing. Install failed. I tried again, but it redownloaded the game again. Failed again. Tried a third time, failed again, and asked for a refund. 225 GB for 3 install attempts. That is nearly a quarter for one game.
    11-11-2018 07:58 PM
    Yeah, I'm curious to see how this will affect Twitch streamers and hard core gamers.

I can already hear the complaining now.
    11-12-2018 08:04 AM
    I'm curious to see how this will affect Twitch streamers and hard core gamers.
    Unless streamers have some kind of business account with whoever that bypasses some of that? Sure, they will pay more, but if they are big enough the cost may be worth it.

Hard core gamers.....not sure. They just may be careful on which games they buy and download in any given month.
    11-13-2018 10:11 AM