I have DirecTV and a Roku Ultra, model 4660X2, OS 9.1.0 build 4111-46. I know I can save money if start streaming my tv and cancel DirecTV. I'm new to cord cutting, so need some good advice on what hardware to get and what streaming services to use. I'm trying to make smart choices the first time without wasting money on stuff I won't want. Here's a list of what I'd like to be able to do:

Stream basic cable. Looks to me like Sling is the best choice, due to # of channels and flexibility with 15 a la carte channels?

At my rural zip code (86322), Sling only has FOX and NBC. To get ABC and CBS, I'm thinking about an HD OTA antenna.

Would like an on-screen guide that shows my Sling and antenna channels on the same list.

Need to be able to record shows, preferably from the above guide, on basic cable, ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC.

Want at least 1 TB of space for recorded shows, wether from Sling or my antenna. Perhaps an external HD or a Tivo?

Want a single list of recordings to watch and manage, wether from Sling or my antenna.

I'm also hoping for a single universal remote that controls all of this, including my Roku (but not DirecTV). I have a small list of wanted features:

TV power, volume and input.
    Microphone, hopefully compatible with Roku voice search.
    Button to light up the buttons at night.
    Control of my antenna if need be (for example it's not multi-directional and needs to be turned).

Two final questions, about my Roku Ultra:

I'm having trouble finding out if the USB port is version 2.0, 3.0 or 3.1.

Any idea on the requirements for the MicroSD card, other than at least class 2 and at least 2 GB? Anyone know the max storage it supports?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you so much.
    06-14-2019 11:46 AM
    You can get the Sling app on your Roku, so no need for additional remote cost. From what I can tell most people aren't using SD cards (me included) in their Rokus, but it seems as long as it meets the speed requirement it just needs to be enough space to hold your channels, which are around 50MB in size each. And the only thing I found about the Ultra's USB port is "it has one" so now I understand your difficulty getting an answer there.

I don't have any answer to recording network shows via Roku/Sling, I have a basic cable sub provided by my apartment complex so I have access to anything the networks put up for streaming. A Hulu membership might be worth looking into for anytime access to some networks.
    06-16-2019 09:49 AM
    You might also want to look at YouTube TV. When we cut the cord several years ago we looked at all the "major" streaming services and went with YTTV due to it having CBS, which none of the other ones had for our area. And $50/month isn't bad for what all you get:

YouTube TV - Watch & DVR Live Sports, Shows & News

As for "all-in-one" remote, I don't think what you are looking for exists. What I ended up doing was using the iPhone apps for all the devices I was using:
    Roku app
    Sharp TV app
    Apple TV app

Yes, a little cumbersome, but I can use all of them from my iPhone / iPad and not have to fumble with several remotes.

Hope this helps.
    06-16-2019 04:30 PM
    I think I am looking for something like the OP:

As I am trying to move away from DirecTV, I am looking for some kind of hardware that waill help me concentrate all of my media. That means that I want something that will help me manage releases and downloads of Amazon, Netflix, Hulu and locals/network shows.

I seem to find OTA DVRs, and "cloud DVRs" (which seems like a fancy way of saying "bookmark it for easy streaming"), and Streaming hardware.

Does anything bring that all together to make my cord-cutting experience easier/more centralized?
    06-27-2019 11:17 PM