Hello, So an old neighbor of mine who is in is like 60's and lives alone and he has asked me to help him cut the cord. We live in the Twin Cities Suburbs and he says he is currently paying around 180ish for TV/Phone/Internet with Comcast that includes a modem/Router combo rental and 1 main HD box and like 2 or 3 of the smaller ones. Anyways he was visiting some friends of his and they gave him an Ooma Telo saying they bought it but couldn't use it so they gave it to him and he is going to move his phone over to Ooma from Comcast where all you pay is your local Taxes and E911 fees so it amounts to $5-$6. Anyways this got him thinking about how to lower his bill in other ways and so he wants to cut the cord. He has given me a list of the channels that he watches on a regular basis. So I have tried looking at different options for him but would like to see if you guys can suggest something that will be less expensive and still get him these channels. I am going to get him a new modem and Router which should save him 10-12 a month on rental fees there.

Anyways if anyone has any ideas on services that I should be looking for to help him save money that would be great. He says some of these are more important that others but he does generally watch them all at one time or another. I know when I went over there he couldn't recall what he watched most but he did mention the Starz Western Channel so I know that for sure is important but that won't be an issue. He also mentioned that he doesn't like Auto Pay and likes to pay for things by mailing a Check but I think he is just going to have to get used to not being able to do that in this day and age.

Thanks for any help/suggestions you can provide, and I apologize if this is not an appropriate question(s) to ask.

Twin Cities Suburbs
    Basic broadcast channels 2, 4, 5, 9, 11

28 TNT
    30 FOX (assuming Fox News or FX my channel numbers are different)
    31 CNN
    36 A & E
    37 Discovery
    38 History
    39 TLC
    40 AMC
    51 E!
    55 SYFY
    57 TCM
    59 Great American Country
    60 TBS
    109 National Geographic
    110 SCI
    111 Investigation discovery
    112 American Heroes Channel
    113 Destination America
    115 FYI
    119 Lifetime Movies
    150 STZEN
    156 STZCL
    158 STZBK
    160 STZWS
    161 OVATION
    162 Insparation
    163 LOGO
    164 IFC
    165 SUNDe
    168 RETRO Plex
    172 FXM
    179 Game show network
    186 SMITHSONIAN
    220 BUZZR
    221 WFTC MOVIE (Local)
    222 AMCHD
    223 START(Assuming Local?)
    225 KMSPL(Local)
    243 TPTMN
    245 KSTC2 (Local)
    246 MeTV (assuming it's local broadcast)
    247 ANTEN(assuming local broadcast)
    260 REELZ
    09-08-2019 02:36 PM
    Speaking as a current subscriber, a lot of these look familiar on YouTube TV. May want to look into that and see what channels are available in your area (zip code).

YouTube TV - Watch & DVR Live Sports, Shows & News
    09-09-2019 06:51 AM
    Here's a channel grid prepared by CordCutters, it's almost a year old so some channels MAY have changed, but it should be fairly accurate.....

The Streaming Channels Matrix | CordCutters
    09-09-2019 08:12 AM
    Hi, I dropped regular cable about 6 months ago. Cord Cutters has been an invaluable resource. I took the time to figure out what channels were important to me before a dropped cable. There is one thing left I miss. That is the TV Everywhere service my cable subscription used to offer. Along that line, I cannot find any resource available on line that tells me what streaming service supports TV Everywhere on which Channels. I subscribe to Sling TV and I like it very much but I was surprised to find out that just because a channel was available on Sling didn't guarantee that the TV Everywhere option was available for that channel. Is there a list somewhere that shows which service supports TV Everywhere on which channels?
    10-02-2019 05:29 PM
    Hello, So an old neighbor of mine who is in is like 60's and lives alone and he has asked me to help him cut the cord...........
    So what did you decide to do?
    10-03-2019 08:52 AM