Hello!!

I apologise if I'm asking for help in the wrong place but I am not very technology savvy!

My 85 year old mother is paying an absurd amount - $200 per month - with Comcast for basic service and internet. No special channels, no telephone. And all she watches is Food Network, HGTV and the local news!!

I do not know how to go about getting rid of her cable... definitely need advice on what services/equipment to get.

The problem is she is VERY set in her ways. She wants to get up in the morning, turn on the TV and leave it on all day as background noise. She doesn't want to have to think about it or choose programs, just wants it on continuously and she WANTS commercials! She loves them as much as the shows LOL.

Will these services like Roku or Sling or whatnot run all day like regular TV with commercials for her? I do not understand how they work at all!!

Thank you for any advice you can give!!
    07-01-2019 09:07 PM
    Hello!!

I apologise if I'm asking for help in the wrong place but I am not very technology savvy!

My 85 year old mother is paying an absurd amount - $200 per month - with Comcast for basic service and internet. No special channels, no telephone. And all she watches is Food Network, HGTV and the local news!!

I do not know how to go about getting rid of her cable... definitely need advice on what services/equipment to get.

The problem is she is VERY set in her ways. She wants to get up in the morning, turn on the TV and leave it on all day as background noise. She doesn't want to have to think about it or choose programs, just wants it on continuously and she WANTS commercials! She loves them as much as the shows LOL.

Will these services like Roku or Sling or whatnot run all day like regular TV with commercials for her? I do not understand how they work at all!!

Thank you for any advice you can give!!
    Hello and welcome to CordCutters.

The first thing you need to do is look at all the streaming options available for her area and see which ones have local channels. All of them have some local channels but only a few have all of them. If she's looking for a specific channel, that may limit your options. I do believe all of them have HGTV and Food Network.

Hulu, YouTube TV, Roku are just a few I can think of at the moment.
    07-02-2019 07:36 AM
    While I generally prefer and recommend cord cutting, its not always the better way. Often older folks are very set in their ways, and sometimes its best to keep them on their current solution. This was the case for my parents. So what I did with them was get Comcast to provide a better price. If you catch the right rep, and you avocate for your parents, and you win the rep over to your side. Always be calm, be polite and firm, and let them know that you want a better "bundle". You can say things like "My parents are on a fixed income" "Their other expenses are going up" "I know you can help me, Comcast has always been so good to us in the past" etc It really DOES work.
    07-02-2019 08:29 AM