I am very new to cutting the cord and am getting fed up with the rising costs of entertainment! And for some reason, I am having a difficult time researching OTA devices that will easily stream from one location over the Internet to another remote location and preferably using a ROKU.

I found AirTV that allegedly do this through Roku and the Sling TV app on Roku or the AirTV player app that is also available on Roku. The problem is I cannot get any definitive information on how this is done... the connection from the remote Roku to the DVR streaming device. Calling their help I was told I need to open port 5401 on my router/firewall but am truly confused how these connect remotely.

I also found that Tablo is also suppossed to be able to do so but does not support a Roku. An android tv box or PC would be needed at the remote location.

SO... to make a long story short, what is the best DVR streaming box that will stream over the Internet and hopefully to a Roku and associated app? AND if say AirTV is best.. how does it hook up?

Thanks so much!

John
    11-02-2018 12:25 AM
    I'm not 100% sure what you are trying to do here. For the most part the apps we use, Netflix, YouTube TV, SingTV etc are all available on whatever device we need, even a computer. Are you trying to watch content you have DVR'd from Sling TV on a different device? You might be able to use a program called Plex for that, BUT you may also need a PC to host the shows you download.
    11-02-2018 11:29 AM
    pkcable, thanks for the reply. I always have a hard time explaining what I need making it unclear. My apologies.

What I am wanting to do is get an Over the Air streaming device to stream OTA TV to anywhere in the world via the Internet and able to be easily picked up via, hopefully, a Roku. I found a couple devices but their "Out of Home" streaming does not make sense to me. Silicon Image and others do it, but then you need a PC or Android box to decode and pickup the stream. Just hoping there is a good solution to use a Roku.

Hope that helps!

John
    11-02-2018 12:05 PM
    Based on my research, Tablo will work for your needs. It DOES support Roku.
    11-02-2018 01:33 PM
    Air TV is too good to be true, I thought it looked amazing at first. Upon doing some research I found that multiple people were having issues setting it up and that it did not work but just needed some fine tuning. Tablo however has much better reviews and has been around longer therefore it is far more reliable. Only downside is monthly $5 for their improved experience or $150 forever. Check it out.
    11-03-2018 10:11 AM
    What I am wanting to do is get an Over the Air streaming device to stream OTA TV to anywhere in the world via the Internet and able to be easily picked up via, hopefully, a Roku. I found a couple devices but their "Out of Home" streaming does not make sense to me. Silicon Image and others do it, but then you need a PC or Android box to decode and pickup the stream. Just hoping there is a good solution to use a Roku.

Hope that helps!

John
    So, for example, you want to be able to take a local NBC station in your hometown and stream that OTA channel out to the interwebs so someone in Spain can watch it?
    ~Lee Bo
    Forum Member
    New to the forums? Introduce yourself here.
    Today 08:08 AM